[Python-Dev] [Csv] These csv test cases seem incorrect to me...

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Mon Mar 12 05:46:04 CET 2007

>IMHO these test cases are *WRONG* and it's a worry that they "work" with
>the current csv module :-(

Those tests are not "wrong" - they verify that we produce the same result
as Excel when presented with those inputs, which was one of the design
goals of the module (and is an important consideration for many of it's
users).

While you might find the Excel team's choices bizare, they are stable,
and in the absence of a formal specification for "CSV", Excel's behaviour
is what most users want and expect.

If you feel like extending the parser to optionally accept some other
format, I have no problem. If you want to make this format the default,
make sure you stick around to answer all the angry e-mail from users.

http://www.object-craft.com.au/