[Python-Dev] Backports of standard library modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 12 10:42:01 CET 2007

glyph at divmod.com schrieb:
> This does raise an interesting question, though, since I'm about to get
> into PEP authorship myself.  Have I missed an official way to propose
> alternatives or resurrect a languishing PEP?

See PEP 1. The PEP champion is obliged to integrate feedback into the
PEP, to avoid repeated discussions. If the PEP champion is unresponsive,
I think that ownership should be transferred to a new champion, although
PEP 1 doesn't explain how this should happen. Historically, champions
who lost interest were always willing to transfer ownership.

If the champion merely records negative feedback without actually
changing the proposal, you can come up with a counter-proposal, as
a separate PEP. For example, I wrote PEP 244 to counter PEP 236.
Clearly, one of them will get rejected eventually in favor of the other.

Regards,
Martin