[Python-Dev] thread safe SMTP module

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Mar 14 21:14:23 CET 2007

Aahz wrote:

> One small wrinkle (and the reason I suggested bringing this to
> python-dev): I suspect that the problem is not a bug, but simply the
> occasional failure of sockets.  When that happens in a threaded app
> without timeouts, eventually threads "die" (block forever).

IIRC, my whole process was locking up, not just individual threads.

Tonight I should have time to pull an old copy of the code out of CVS
and recreate the test script that I used.  Once I have, it should be a
matter of feeding a big list of email addresses to the script and
waiting a couple of minutes for the script to lock up.  The last time I
looked, the problem was very easy to observe.