[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 02:46:37 CET 2007

On 3/14/07, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> Steering clear of the rest of the discussion, I'd just like to give
> a hearty "+1" for this not going into 2.5.x in any way shape or
> form.

Agreed. I'd further vote for keeping this change out until 3.x because
it is a behavior change in a corner case predicated on a value
judgement. Yes I find the idea of an extension without a filename to
be silly. However this change punishes he who checked the corner cases
to help he who did not.

If this change is primarily geared to help in the case where people
want to retrieve the file name without the extension, we should add a
function to return this basic name. Who would rather see
os.path.dropext(path)?

Michael
--
Michael Urman  http://www.tortall.net/mu/blog