[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Mike Krell mbk.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:47:48 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Can you show us the relevant fragment of your code?

Sure:

    for f in files:
        try:
            (root, ext) = os.path.splitext(f)
            os.rename(f, '%s.%s%s' % (root, index, ext))
        except OSError:
            die('renaming %s failed' % f)

Background:

This is a little utility that runs on windows that archives arbitrary
files.  index is an integer.
For index == 1, I want "a.txt" to be renamed to "a.1.txt", and I want
".emacs" to be renamed to ".1.emacs", thus preserving the extensions.
Under the new patch, the second file would be renamed to ".emacs.1",
gratuitously breaking the extension preservation.

   Mike