[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 15 22:03:32 CET 2007

Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
> Steve Holden schrieb:
>> This is not "prevarication", it's a serious discussion about how such
>> issues should be managed.  The current glaring lack is of a sound
>> decision-making process. Such breakage-inducing change should be
>> reserved for major versions (as was the fix to the socket addressing wart).
>
> Please take a look at Misc/NEWS and review all changes that had been
> made since 2.5 to find out what other changes are breakage-inducing.

For example, I committed a fix for urllib that made it raise IOError instead
of an AttributeError (which wasn't explicitly raised, of course) if a certain
error condition occurs.

This is changed behavior too, but if we are to postpone all these fixes
to 3.0, we won't have half of the fixes in Python 2.6 that are there now.

Georg