[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Mike Krell mbk.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:30:44 CET 2007

On 3/16/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> If they pass the flag to the function, the code will stop running on
> 2.5 and earlier. This is worse than having code that works on all
> versions. This is also whz I wondered how the flag helps backwards
> compatibility: when people add the flag, the code stops working
> on old versions, so it will *not* be backwards compatible.

I don't understand.  Under Nick's proposal, calling splitext with no
keyword parameters results in the exact behavior we have today, so
it's obviously backward compatible.  If you use a keyword parameter,
you're using a new feature implemented in 2.6, so there is no
expectation of backward compatibility unless and until the keyword
parameters are backported.

   Mike