[Python-Dev] Rewrite of cmath module?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Mar 18 05:09:49 CET 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007, Mark Dickinson wrote:

> I'm wondering whether anyone would be interested in a rewrite of the
> cmath module.

In theory, yes, but my observations of past discussions have been that
they tend to founder on the issues of cross-platform support and
long-term code maintenance.

> I have a drop-in replacement written in pure Python,
> based largely on the formulas given by Kahan in his `Much Ado about
> Nothing's Sign Bit' article, which I believe eliminates the vast
> majority of the current numerical problems.

If nothing else, if you are willing to support this code, *PLEASE*
upload it to the Cheese Shop.  Public interest in such code makes it
easier to sell back to the core.

BTW, I noticed that your post was held for moderation, probably because
you aren't subscribed to python-dev.  If you want to participate in this
discussion, subscribing makes that much easier.

"Typing is cheap.  Thinking is expensive."  --Roy Smith