[Python-Dev] I vote to reject: Adding timeout to socket.pyand httplib.py.

Facundo Batista facundo at taniquetil.com.ar
Wed Mar 21 19:44:59 CET 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> This is why I proposed to *get rid of* the distinction between
> timeout=None and timeout not specified. Let an unspecified timeout
> default to None, and if timeout is None, skip the settimeout() call.

+1

I'll abuse of your dictatorship, and let's see if we can finally
specify what I'd do:

- Just put a timeout default to None. If None, skip settimeout() call.

- Copy the exceptions behaviour that we have actually in the higher
  level libraries: maybe it's not the best, but we're sure we aren't
  breaking anything.

- As you said in other thread when voting (a,b,c), let's make the
  function public (but with the more specific name: create_connection).

If it's ok, I'll prepare one more update to the patch.

Regards,

--
.   Facundo
.