[Python-Dev] An updated extended buffer PEP

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Mar 27 08:33:11 CEST 2007

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> > Here is my updated PEP which incorporates several parts of the
> > discussions we have been having.

It looks pretty good.

However, I'm still having trouble seeing what use it is returning
a different object from getbuffer. There seems to be no rationale
set out for this in the PEP. Can you give me a concrete example of
a case where it would be necessary?

Also it appears that you're returning a borrowed reference, so
if the provider object is not the same as the main object, this
would seem to require the main object to keep references to all
the provider objects that it has handed out, until releasebuffer
has been called on them. This seems very odd to me.

--
Greg