[Python-Dev] An updated extended buffer PEP

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 29 00:41:37 CEST 2007

Carl Banks wrote:

> /* don't define releasebuffer or lockbuffer */
> /* only objects that manage buffers themselves would define these */

That's an advantage, but it's a pretty small one -- the
releasebuffer implementation would be very simple in
this case.

I'm bothered that the releaser field makes the protocol
asymmetrical and thus harder to reason about. It would
cost me more mental effort to convince myself that a
releasebuffer implementation wasn't needed in any
particular case than it would to write the one-line
implementation otherwise required.

--
Greg