[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] PEP 30XZ: Simplified Parsing

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed May 2 20:51:06 CEST 2007

At 10:34 AM 5/2/2007 -0700, Trent Mick wrote:
>But if you don't want the EOLs? Example from some code of mine:
>
>      raise MakeError("extracting '%s' in '%s' did not create the "
>                      "directory that the Python build will expect: "
>                      "'%s'" % (src_pkg, dst_dir, dst))
>
>I use this kind of thing frequently. Don't know if others consider it
>bad style.

Well, I do it a lot too; don't know if that makes it good or bad, though.  :)

I personally don't see a lot of benefit to changing the lexical rules for
Py3K, however.  The hard part of lexing Python is INDENT/DEDENT (and the
associated unbalanced parens rule), and none of these proposals suggest
removing *that*.  Overall, this whole thing seems like a bikeshed to me.