[Python-Dev] x64 and the testsuite

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu May 3 18:32:44 CEST 2007

Hello again.
A lot of overflow tests fail in the testsuite, by expecting overflow using sys.maxint.
for example this line, 196, in test_index.py: self.assertEqual(x[self.neg:self.pos], (-1, maxint))

At the moment, I am disabling these tests with
if "64 bit" not in sys.version:

So, two questions:  Should we add something like sys.maxsize to keep these overflow tests valid?

Also, some tests just kill the computer when given large values, that are expected to overflow.  Sometimes
it would be good to test for a 64 bit machine with virtually infinite ram.  Is there a better way
than the "64 bit" in sys.version test?  Should we have something like sys.bits?

Kristján