[Python-Dev] New operations in Decimal

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat May 12 02:11:30 CEST 2007

> The only rationale I can think of for such a thing is
> that maybe they're trying to accommodate the possibility
> of a machine built entirely around a hardware implementation
> of the spec, that doesn't have any other way of doing
> bitwise logical operations.  If that's the case, then Python
> clearly has no need for it.

Doesn't matter.  My intention for the module is to be fully compliant with the spec and all of its tests.  Code written in other languages which support the spec should expect to be transferrable to Python and run exactly as they did in the original language.

The module itself makes that promise:

    "this module should be kept in sync with the latest updates
    of the IBM specification as it evolves.  Those updates will
    be treated as bug fixes (deviation from the spec is considered
    a compatibility, usability bug)"

If I still have any say in the matter, please consider this a pronouncement.  Tim, if you're listening, please chime in.

Raymond