[Python-Dev] New operations in Decimal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat May 12 06:23:04 CEST 2007

"Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message
news:4645005C.4060201 at canterbury.ac.nz...
| The only rationale I can think of for such a thing is
| that maybe they're trying to accommodate the possibility
| of a machine built entirely around a hardware implementation
| of the spec, that doesn't have any other way of doing
| bitwise logical operations.

That is what I meant by 'commercial strategy' in my previous post.  The IBM
site pages mentioned the possibility of a decimal-based processor back when
I read it, which was back when the decimal module was being developed.  It
would fit both their decades of product history and their name (*business
machines*).  Nothing nefarious, exactly, ..

| If that's the case, then Python clearly has no need for it.

but think it should at least be discussed whether to add useless functions
while somewhat useful functions are being deleted and other useful
functions are being denied entry.

Terry Jan Reedy