[Python-Dev] Official version support statement

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat May 12 09:18:42 CEST 2007

> Python can dispose of a raft of bugs present only in the older
> versions with WONTFIX at release of a new stable version (after
> double-checking that they don't exist in the stable version).

I'm all in favor of formalizing a policy of when Python releases
are produced, and what Python releases, and what kinds of changes
they may contain. However, such a policy should be addressed
primarily to contributors, as a guidance, not to users, as
a promise. So I have problems with both "official" and "support"
still.

> Developers can respond to reports of bugs in the immediate past
> version with "I'm sorry, but we try to concentrate our limited
> resources on supporting the current version, and it is unlikely that
> it will be fixed.  Please post to c.l.p for help."  Users are
> disappointed, but it builds trust, and more so if supported by an
> official statement.

The way we make policy statements is through the PEP process. This
is important, because it involves the community in setting the
policy. The PSF board has often explicitly tried to stay out
of managing the Python development itself, and has deferred that
to python-dev and its readership.

I had meant to propose a PEP on maintenance of Python releases
for quite some time now; perhaps this is the time to actually
write this PEP.

Regards,
Martin