[Python-Dev] \u and \U escapes in raw unicode string literals

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon May 14 02:55:52 CEST 2007

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> * non-ASCII code points in text are not uncommon, they occur
>   in most European scripts, all Asian scripts,

In an Asian script, almost every character is likely to
be non-ascii, which is going to be pretty hard to read
as a string of unicode escapes.

Maybe what we want is a new kind of string literal in
which *everything* is a unicode escape. A sufficiently
smart editor could then display it using the appropriate
characters, yet it could still be dealt with as ascii-
only in a pinch.

--
Greg