[Python-Dev] Official version support statement

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed May 16 13:55:03 CEST 2007

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Terry Reedy writes:
>
>  > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote in message
>  > news:17989.27755.568352.465481 at uwakimon.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp...
>  > | The impression that many people (including python-dev regulars) have
>  > | that there is a "policy" of "support" for both the current release
>  > | (2.5) and the (still very widely used) previous release (2.4) is a
>  > | real problem, and needs to be addressed.
>
>  > I agree that such mis-understanding should be addressed.  So I now think a
>  > paragraph summarizing Martin's info PEP, ending with "For details, see
>  > PEPxxx.", would be a good idea.
>
> FWIW, after Martin's explanation, and considering the annoyance of
> keeping updates sync'ed (can PEPs be amended after acceptance, or only
> superseded by a new PEP, like IETF RFCs?), I tend to support Barry's
> suggestion of a brief listing of current releases and next planned,
> and "Python policy concerning release planning is defined by [the
> current version of] PEPxxx", with a link.

In which case doesn't it make more sense to use the existing mechanism
of PEP 356 (Release Schedule)? If something isn't listed in there (even
without dates) then there are no current plans to release it, and that
tells the reader everything they need to know.

At the moment the PEP begins with "This document describes the
development and release schedule for Python 2.5." but it could just as
easily say "future releases of the Python 2.X series" or something similar.

Which reminds me, that PEP needs updating!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119