[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun May 20 00:11:32 CEST 2007

On 5/19/07, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> over the last few weeks I've hacked on a new approach to Python's
> documentation.
> As Python already has an excellent documentation framework, the docutils,
> with a
> readable yet extendable markup format, reST, I thought that it should be
> possible to use those instead of the current LaTeX->latex2html toolchain.
>
> For the impatient: the result can be seen at <http://pydoc.gbrandl.de>.

I really want this!

>From a doc writer's perspective I find this reST approach much easier to
grapple than the LaTeX one since I find reST markup nicer for simple things
like lists and bolding.   From a committer's POV I like this as it should
hopefully get more people to help with changes and make it easy for me to
build the docs locally to make sure the markup is correct.  And from a lazy
coder's POV I love it as Georg has already done all the work (and in Python
so if I really have to change something I have a better chance of figuring
out how).

-Brett