[Python-Dev] Summary of Tracker Issues

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun May 20 03:57:54 CEST 2007

Talin wrote:
> Josiah Carlson wrote:
>> Captchas like this are easily broken using computational methods, or
>> even the porn site trick that was already mentioned.  Never mind
>> Stephen's stated belief, that you quoted, that he believes that even the
>> hard captchas are going to be beaten by computational methods soon.  Please
>> try to pay attention to previous posts.
>
> I think people are trying too hard here - in other words, they are
> putting more of computational science brainpower into the problem than
> it really merits. While it is true that there is an arms race between
> creators of social software applications and spammers, this arms race is
> only waged the largest scales - spammers simply won't spend the effort
> to go after individual sites, its not cost effective, especially when
> there are much more lucrative targets.

[clip]

> And has there been any spam submitted since that point? If we're talking
> less than one spam a week on average, then this is all a moot point, its
> less effort for someone to just manually delete it than it is to come up
> with an automated system.

I was thinking the same thing.  Once we start using it, any spam that does
get though won't stay there very long.  At most maybe half a day, but
likely only an hour or two. (or less)

If it becomes a frequent problem, then it is the time to put the brain
cells to work on this.  So far we've only had one instance over how long?

Lets spend the brain power on getting it up and running first.

Cheers,
    Ron