[Python-Dev] PEP 0365: Adding the pkg_resources module

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon May 21 13:43:43 CEST 2007

On 2007-05-21 00:07, Talin wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> I wanted to get this in before the Py3K PEP deadline, since this is a
>> Python 2.6 PEP that would presumably impact 3.x as well.  Feedback welcome.
>>

>> PEP: 365
>> Title: Adding the pkg_resources module
>
> I'm really surprised that there hasn't been more comment on this.

True.... both ways, I guess: I'm still waiting for a reply to my
comments.

I'd also like to see more discussion about adding e.g.:

 * support for user packages

   (ie. having site.py add a well-defined user home directory
   based Python path entry to sys.path, e.g.
   ~/.python/user-packages, much like what MacPython already does
   now)

 * support for having the import mechanism play nice
   with namespace packages

   (ie. packages that may live in different places on the disk,
   but appear to be in the same Python package as seen by the
   import mechanism)

I think those two features would go a long way in reducing the
number of hacks setuptools currently applies to get this
functionality working with code in .pth files, monkey-patching
site.py, etc.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 21 2007)