[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon May 21 13:01:20 CEST 2007

    Brett> Martin beat me to my comment.  =) Python's needs should come
    Brett> first, period.  If Georg wants to add math support, fine.  But
    Brett> honestly I would rather he spend his time on Python-specific
    Brett> stuff then get bogged down to support possible third parties.

I think the people who have responded to my comment read too much into it.
Nowhere do I think I asked Georg to write an equation typesetter to include
in the Python documentation toolchain.  I asked that math capability be
considered.  I have no idea what tools he used to build his new
documentation set.  I only briefly glanced at a couple of the output pages.
I think what he has done is marvelous.  However, I don't think the door
should be shut on equation display.  Is there a route to it based on the
tools Georg is using?  If not, then I think some accommodation should be
made.  I'm being vague here on purpose because I'm unfamiliar with the
available tools.  The one thing I do know is that LaTeX provides that today
and by removing it from the toolchain you have removed a significant piece
of functionality.

Skip