[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon May 21 21:55:38 CEST 2007

Fred L. Drake, Jr. schrieb:
> On Monday 21 May 2007, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>  > Then I submit that you are probably removing some significant piece of
>  > functionality from the provided documentation toolchain which some people
>  > probably rely on.  After all, that's what LaTeX excels at.  They will be
>  > able to continue to use the old tools, but where will they get them if
>  > they are no longer part of Python?
>
> I'll be happy to pull the existing tools out into a separate distribution if
> we move to something else for Python.  There are too many users of the
> existing tools to abandon.

That is a good idea! The converter is not likely to work with other projects
out of the box (it's been finetuned for the Doc/ sources), and it's not clear
whether they would want to switch in any case. Many of the features that the
new system would be able to provide aren't needed for them anyway, and I, as
a maintainer, would be very reluctant to put extra work in that too...

cheers,
Georg