[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 22 00:04:01 CEST 2007

Bill Janssen schrieb:
>> We are developing a programming language here, not a typesetting
>> system.
>
> Good point, Martin.  Are you implying that the documentation should be
> kept in LaTeX, a widely-accepted widely-disseminated stable
> documentation language, which someone else maintains, rather than
> ReST, which elements of the the Python community maintain?

No - I have no particular preference wrt. to the markup language.
I can personally live with all of them, and I like none of them.

I hear that contributors complain about having to use TeX, and
I hear other people say that they were more happy if they could
use ReST instead of TeX. Making contributors happy is really what
the objective should be (if the quality of the typesetting output
is adequate - and most people use the HTML output these days,
where latex2html may not have adequate quality).

That docutils happens to be written in Python should make little
difference - it's *not* part of the Python language project,
and is just a tool for us, very much like latex and latex2html.

Regards,
Martin