[Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 22 23:37:20 CEST 2007

> While that is true in theory, I often find it is not the case in practice,
> generally due to the optimizer.  Depending on what magic the compiler has
> done, it can be very difficult to set breakpoints (conditional or
> otherwise), inspect variable values, etc.  It is useful in some cases, but
> very often I find myself falling back to a debug build after attempting to
> debug a local release build.

What I typically do is to disable optimization in a release build.
It then essentially becomes a debug build, except that _DEBUG is
not defined, so that it doesn't incorporate the debug CRT. This,
in turn, means that you can mix such a "debug" build readily
with non-debug binaries.

>> I think there are several other cases in distutils to support
>> special cases (e.g. the DISTUTILS_USE_SDK environment variable);
>> if people want to see their setup supported, AND ARE WILLING TO
>> CONTRIBUTE: more power to them.
>
> Yes, but I believe its also important to solicit feedback on the best way to
> achieve their aims.  In this particular case, I believe it would have been
> misguided for me to simply check in whatever was necessary to have distutils
> work from the PCBuild8 directory.  I hope it is clear that I am willing to
> contribute the outcome of these discussions...

Sure - all understood, and all fine. It's certainly good to build
consensus first, but in cases of "should we support that borderline
case of build setup as long as I'm willing to maintain it", the
answer should always be "yes" (*), irrespective of the merits of the
specific proposal. Heck, we would even accept patches to support
HP-UX better :-)

Regards,
Martin

(*) assuming it doesn't break anything
P.S. I think there have been cases where I haven't been that
supportive wrt. build issues. However, in this case I really
feel "go ahead".