[Python-Dev] [Distutils] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 22 23:58:31 CEST 2007

> I have a set of extensions that use SWIG to wrap my own C++ library.
> This library, on a day-to-day basis is built against VS8 since the rest
> of our product suite is.  Right now I have no way to work with this code
> using VS8 since the standard distribution is built against VS7 which
> uses a different CRT.   This is an absolute nightmare in practice since
> I currently have to maintain VS7 projects in parallel with the standard
> VS8 ones simply so that I can run and test my python code.

If you know well enough what you are doing, and avoid using unsupported
cases, you *can* mix different CRTs.

> Building using the current projects I
> seem to get everything in the PCBuild8 / PCBuild dirs.  How can I work
> with what is build?

Python works correctly out of its build directory. You can just run it
from there.

> Is there a shell script to build a final distribution tree?

Not sure what you mean by "tree". Distribution is in a single MSI file,
not in a tree, and the tree that gets created on the target machine
(of the MSI file) never exists on the source machine.

> If not, is
> there a simple way to build an MSI similar to the one found on the
> Python.org site for the official releases but using the PCBuild8 stuff?

No, but it should be possible to adopt Tools/msi to package pcbuild8
instead. Just make sure you are using different GUIDs as the
ProductCode.

Regards,
Martin