[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

Ka-Ping Yee python-dev at zesty.ca
Wed May 23 00:12:08 CEST 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Steve Holden wrote:
> But doesn't *everyone* now know that documentation contributions don't
> have to be marked up? It's certainly been said enough. Maybe that fact
> should be more prominent in the documentation? Then we'll just have to
> worry about getting people to read it ...

I think the issue is instant gratification.  You don't get the
satisfaction of seeing your changes unless you're willing to write
them in LaTeX, and that's a pretty big barrier -- a lot of what
motivates open source volunteers is the sense of fulfillment.

(Hence, by the same nature, Wiki-like editing with instant changes
visible online will probably greatly increase contributions.)

-- ?!ng