[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed May 23 15:21:46 CEST 2007

Nick Craig-Wood schrieb:

>> > It is missing conversion of ``comment'' at the moment as I'm sure you
>> > know...
>>
>>  Sorry, what did you mean?
>
> ``comment'' produces smart quotes in latex if I remember correctly.
> You probably want to convert it somehow because it looks a bit odd on
> the web page as it stands.  I'm not sure what the reST replacement
> might be, but converting it just to "comment" would probably be OK.
> Likewise with `comment' to 'comment'.

Ahh, now the dime has fallen ;) (sorry, German phrase)

Yes, it should probably use Unicode equivalents of these quotes, as it
does with en- and em-dashes.

There are also nifty "post-processor" filters which operate on complete HTML
pages and replace normal quotes by "smart" ones, perhaps that is the way
to go.

Georg