[Python-Dev] The docs, reloaded

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat May 26 21:44:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

We managed to get an up to date version of the web version of the docs running
on the server. The address is still the same (http://pydoc.gbrandl.de:3000) and
it's also still running on top of wsgiref.

Changes so far:
   * comments: each page that is generated from an rst file can have some
     comments attached to it. Commenting doesn't require registration at the
     moment.
   * antispam with optional reverse captcha (captcha for bots, a hidden input
     field named "homepage" which bots hopefully fill out, dumb as they are) and
     a regular expression filter rules based on MoinMoin's BadContent file.
   * administration panel for moderating comments. You can find the admin panel
     at http://pydoc.gbrandl.de:3000/admin/ -- login credentials are
     testuser:password)
   * feeds for comments on a page or the last n comments on the whole site.
   * source view is text only (again).

What still works:
   * intelligent error pages: if a page does not exist the URL path is used to
     conduct a fuzzy keyword search (see below).
   * fuzzy keyword search: "os.path.exists" jumps to the entry, "os.paht.exists"
     shows some possibilities.

What needs to be implemented:
   * full text search
   * proposing documentation patches

Note that the comment area is really, really dark, that's intentional.  This is
meant to visually separate comments from the official docs, but if the constrast
is deemed to unsettling, another way can be found.

Also, we're experimenting with alternate stylesheets, e.g. placing the sidebar
on the right of the main text, or a "traditional" style for those liking the
original docs' style.

In any case, we're waiting for your input!

cheers,
Georg and Armin