[Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 29 00:09:04 CEST 2007

>> It doesn't need to, and reluctance is not wrt. to the proposed new
>> layout, but wrt. changing the current one. Tons of infrastructure
>> depends on the files having exactly the names that they have now,
>> and being located in exactly the locations where they are currently
>> located. Any change to that, whatever minor, will cause problems
>> to some people.
>
> Just to be absolutely clear:  You are talking about the build environment,
> right?  Because I am not proposing to change any layout of the
> installed Python (wherever that may be :)

Correct.

> I am baffled about why the build environment's layout matters,
> but once an .msi install can place the binaries in any
> old place it wants.  The build structure doesn't have to
> reflect the final installed structure at all.

No. But still, people like to be able to "run" Python out of
a source check-out. This has been supported for a long time,
and more and more stuff was added to support it. For examples
within Python itself, see the support in distutils, getpathp.c,
PCbuild/rt.bat, and Tools/buildbot/*.bat. Reportedly (by
Mark), building Mozilla (the web browser) also "knows"
about PCbuild.

Regards,
Martin