[Python-Dev] Declaring setters with getters

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Nov 1 00:45:05 CET 2007

> I'm not sure about the name "propset"  ...
 >Maybe something like "setproperty" would be better.

I think not.  Saying "setproperty" has too many ambiguous mental parsings.  When does "set" take place -- assigning a value to a property is different defining the property itself. Is "set" a verb so that we're talking about a property of sets/frozensets.  Is "set" a completed action so that the property has been set.

Let's stick with "propset" which has precedent as an svn action and serves as a short, simple mnemonic to the functionality.

Also, I find that these unique words are easier to search for.  I once co-owned a magazine called Know Your Boston and it was very difficult for clients to find using Google.

Raymond