[Python-Dev] Bug tracker: meaning of resolution keywords

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Nov 9 18:05:08 CET 2007

Hello!

Guido has granted me committer privileges to svn.python.org and
bugs.python.org about a week ago. So I'm new and new people tend to make
mistakes until they've learned the specific rules of a project.

Today I've learned that the resolution keyword "accepted" doesn't mean
the bug report is accepted. It only means a patch for the bug is
accepted. In the past I've used "accepted" in the meaning of "bug is
confirmed" in my own projects. In my ignorance I've used it in the same
way to mark bugs as confirmed when I was able to reproduce the bug myself.

The tracker doc at http://wiki.python.org/moin/TrackerDocs/ doesn't have
a formal definition of the various keywords. I like to add a definition
to the wiki to prevent others from making the same mistake. But first I
like to discuss my view of the keywords

Resolutions
***********

accepted - patch accepted
confirmed (*) - the problem is confirmed
duplicate - the bug is a duplicated of another bug
fixed - the bug is fixed / patch is applied
invalid - catch all for invalid reports
later - the problem is going to be addressed later in the release cycle
out of date - the bug was already fixed in svn
postponed - the problem is going to be fixed in the next minor version
rejected - the patch or feature request is rejected
remind - remind me to finish the task (docs, unit tests)
wont fix - it's not a bug, it's a feature
works for me - unable to reproduce the problem

(*) It's missing from the list of resolutions but I like to have it
added. http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/issue167

Priority
*******
immediate - the bug must be fixed *NOW* (only used for important
security related problems)
urgent - the problem must be fixed ASAP because it's crucial for future
development
high - the problem should be fixed soonish and must be fixed for the
next release
normal - the problem should be fixed for the next release
low - nice to have features and fixes

Christian