[Python-Dev] XML codec?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Nov 11 18:36:49 CET 2007

On 2007-11-11 14:51, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> Right. But what is the relationship to XML encoding autodetection?
>> It pops up whenever you need to detect the encoding of the
>> incoming XML data on the network connection, e.g. in XML RPC
>> or data upload mechanisms.
>
> No, it doesn't. For XML-RPC, you pass the XML payload of the
> HTTP request to the XML parser, and it deals with the encoding.

First, XML-RPC is not the only mechanism using XML over a network
connection. Second, you don't want to do this if you're dealing
with several 100 MB of data just because you want to figure
out the encoding.

>> It is also not always feasible to load all data into memory, so
>> some form of buffering must be used.
>
> Again, I don't see the use case. For XML-RPC, it's very feasible
> and standard procedure to have the entire document in memory
> (in a processed form).

You may not see the use case, but that doesn't really mean
anything if the use cases exist in real life applications,
right ?!

>> This approach is also needed if you want to stack stream codecs
>> (not sure whether this is still possible in Py3, but that's how
>> I designed them for Py2).
>
> The design of the Py2 codecs is fairly flawed, unfortunately.

Fortunately, this sounds like a fairly flawed argument to me ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 11 2007)