[Python-Dev] XML codec?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Nov 12 14:16:29 CET 2007

On 2007-11-11 23:22, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> That's my original claim/question: what SPECIFIC application do
>>> you have in mind that transfers XML over a network and where you
>>> would want to have such a stream codec?
>> XML-based web services used for business integration, e.g. based
>> on ebXML.
>>
>> A common use case from our everyday consulting business is e.g.
>> passing market and trading data to portfolio pricing web services.
>
> I still don't see the need for this feature from this example.
> First, in ebXML messaging, the message are typically *not* large
> (i.e. much smaller than 100 MB). Furthermore, the typical processing
> of such a message would be to pass it directly to the XML parser,
> no need for the functionality under discussion.

I don't see the point in continuing this discussion. If you think
you know better, that's fine. Just please don't generalize this
to everyone else working with Python and XML.

>>> Right. However, I' will remain opposed to adding this to the
>>> standard library until I see why one would absolutely need to
>>> have that. Not every piece of code that is useful in some
>>> application should be added to the standard library.
>> Agreed, but the application space of web services is large
>> enough to warrant this.
>
> If that was the case, wouldn't the existing Python web service
> libraries already include such a functionality?

No.

To finalize this:

We have a -1 from Martin and a +1 from Walter, Guido and myself.
Pretty clear vote if you ask me. I'd say we end the discussion here
and move on.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 12 2007)