[Python-Dev] A crash during interpreter cleanup when using PyGILState APIs

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Nov 22 11:57:20 CET 2007

An extension module I use makes extensive use of the PyGILState API's
in callback functions for C APIs. Some of the functions that use the
PyGILState APIs are used in the tp_dealloc of methods. This seems
cause problems when objects are cleaned up during interpreter
shutdown: when an object is deallocated during
PyInterpreterState_Clear I get a hard crash because the GILState
machinery has been shut down at that time :-(

The bug report for this: http://bugs.python.org/issue1402

The report includes a patch, but I know just enough about the python
threading infrastructure to be dangerous and am not convinced that the
patch is actually correct.

Ronald