[Python-Dev] Build Notes for building trunk with Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Nov 24 11:00:30 CET 2007

On 2007-11-23 23:12, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 23/11/2007, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
>> bsddb is automatically build by a build step. But you have to convert
>> the project files in build_win32 to VS 2008 first. Simply open the
>> solution file and let VS convert the projects.
>
> VS 2008 Express doesn't have a devenv command, so the pre-link step
> doesn't work. You need to open the bsddb project file, and build
> db_static by hand. For a debug Python, you need the Debug
> configuration, for a release Python you need the Release
> configuration. Beware - the default config is Debug_ASCII which is not
> checked by the pre-link step.
>
> So, from a checkout of Python, plus the various svn externals:
>
> - dowload nasm, install it somewhere on your PATH, and copy nasm.exe
> to nasmw.exe (Why did you use nasmw.exe rather than nasm.exe? Is there
> a difference in the version you have?)

The OpenSSL build process still uses the old nasmw.exe name
(the build instructions there are for the old NASM version,
but it also works with the latest NASM release).

The NASM project has recently changed the name of the executable
to nasm.exe.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 24 2007)