[Python-Dev] [poll] New name for __builtins__

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Nov 28 16:20:05 CET 2007

I'm sending this mail to Python-dev in the hope to reach more developers.

GvR likes to rename the __builtin__ to reduce confusing between
__builtin__ and __builtins__. He wanted to start a poll on the new name
but apparently he forgot.

>From http://bugs.python.org/issue1498
---
In http://bugs.python.org/issue1774369 I mentioned that I wanted to
rename __builtins__ to __rootns__.  Though right now I think something
longer and less cryptic might be better.  The reason is to avoid for
once and for all the confusion between __builtin__, which is a module,
and __builtins__, a feature mainly used by sandboxing to pass the set of
builtins to be used via the global namespace.  This lay at the heart of
the referenced bug.

I'm still in favor of this but haven't had the time to investigate how
much work it would be.
[...]
OK, then we need to agree on a new name. I find __root__ too short,
__rootns__ too cryptic, and __root_namespace__ too long. :-) What else
have we got?
---

What name do you prefer? I'm +1 with Raymond on __root__ but I'm still
open for better suggestions.

Christian