[Python-Dev] [poll] New name for __builtins__

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Nov 28 19:50:33 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 10:46 AM, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 8:20 AM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> > I'm sending this mail to Python-dev in the hope to reach more developers.
> >
> > GvR likes to rename the __builtin__ to reduce confusing between
> > __builtin__ and __builtins__. He wanted to start a poll on the new name
> > but apparently he forgot.
>
> In a recent thread on python-ideas[1] it was suggested that builtins
> be added as an argument to eval and exec.  I'd prefer to do that and
> eliminate the name altogether.
> [1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2007-November/001250.html

You can do that but the special entry in globals is still required in
order to pass it on to all scopes that need it.

> If not that I suggest something like __inject_builtins__.  This
> implies it's a command to eval/exec, and doesn't necessarily reflect
> your current builtins (which are canonically accessible as an
> attribute of your frame.)

You're misunderstanding the reason why __builtins__ exists at all. It
is used *everywhere* as the root namespace, not just as a special case
to inject different builtins.

ATM I'm torn between __root__ and __python__.