[Python-Dev] ssl module integration with asyncore

Giampaolo Rodola' gnewsg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 02:52:31 CET 2007

On 29 Nov, 00:26, Bill Janssen <jans... at parc.com> wrote:
> > I tried to write a simple asyncore-based server code, then I used a
> > simple client to establish a connection with it.
> > Once the client is connected server raises the following exception:
>
> I think this is a bug.  Thanks!

You're welcome.

> The issue is that the internal call to do_handshake() doesn't handle
> non-blocking sockets properly.
>
> You can work around the bug like this:
>
> --- snippet ---
> import asyncore, asynchat, socket, ssl, select
>
> class Handler(asyncore.dispatcher):
>
>     def __init__(self, conn):
>         asyncore.dispatcher.__init__(self, conn)
>         self.socket = ssl.wrap_socket(conn, server_side=True,
>                                       certfile='keycert.pem',
>                                       do_handshake_on_connect=False)
>         while True:
>             try:
>                 self.socket.do_handshake()
>                 break
>             except ssl.SSLError, err:
>                 if err.args[0] == ssl.SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ:
>                     select.select([self.socket], [], [])
>                 elif err.args[0] == ssl.SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE:
>                     select.select([], [self.socket], [])
>                 else:
>                     raise
>         self.send('hi there')
> --- /snippet ---
>
> Bill

It does raise the same exception.
Are there plans for fixing this?
Using that kind of workaround is not acceptable in any case (select
module shouldn't even get imported when using asyncore).
Moreover I think we need at least a minimal test suite to make sure
that non-blocking sockets work properly.
I'm not experienced with ssl module but I know asyncore/asynchat quite
good.
If you need some help I could propose myself for writing a minimal
test suite for asyncore integration with ssl module when the bocking
issues will be fixed.