[Python-Dev] Returning exception stack trace in SimpleXMLRPCServer response

Raghuram Devarakonda draghuram at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:34:27 CEST 2007

Hi,

When an exception occurs in a function, SimpleXMLRPCServer currently sends
exception type and value back to the client (in <faultString>) . So the
client sees some thing like:

"'<type \'exceptions.ValueError\'>:invalid literal for int() with base 10"

This string is constructed in _marshaled_dispatch() as ""%s:%s" % (exc_type,
exc_value)". How about adding the stack traceback to this string? I found it
very useful to have the server side traceback in case of failures. I will
come up with a patch if there is any interest.

Some thing similar has been done in case of internal server errors (in
r57158).

Thanks,
Raghu