[Python-Dev] Python developers are in demand

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@bioinformed.com> bioinformed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:18:04 CEST 2007

Just to chime in from the other side of the coin.

I'm actively trying to hire qualified scientific programmers with strong
Python experience.  Unfortunately, I've had little success finding
candidates with actual Python knowledge, resorting mainly to hiring those
who've seen it and can readily learn it on the job.  So while it is
encouraging that Python is being used as an introductory language, that
trend has yet to "trickle up" to general availability of more advanced
practitioners.

(The other reason I am having trouble recruiting Pythonistas is that my
field -- statistical genetics -- tends to be saturated with Perl folk.
Retraining them is a blast...)

~Kevin