[Python-Dev] Product function patch [issue 1093]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 4 11:18:43 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> But what's the point, given that numpy already exists? Wouldn't you
> just be redoing the work that numpy has already done?

Sometimes I just want to do something simple like
adding two vectors together, and it seems unreasonable
to add the whole of numpy as a dependency just to
get that.

Currently Python has built-in ways of doing arithmetic,
and built-in ways of storing arrays of numbers efficiently,
but no built-in way of doing arithmetic on arrays of
numbers efficiently.

I'd like to see some of the core machinery of numpy moved
into the Python stdlib, and numpy refactored so that it
builds on that. Then there wouldn't be duplication.

--
Greg