[Python-Dev] Product function patch [issue 1093]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 16:52:29 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> I'd like to see some of the core machinery of numpy moved into the
>> Python stdlib, and numpy refactored so that it builds on that. Then
>> there wouldn't be duplication.
>
> I think this requires a PEP, and explicit support from the NumPy
> people.

Travis has actually been working on this off-and-on for the last couple
of years, including mentoring an SoC project last year. I believe PEP
3118 (the revised buffer protocol) was one of the major outcomes -
rather than having yet-another-array-type to copy data to and from in
order to use different libraries, the focus moved to permitting better
interoperability amongst the array types that already exist.

Once we support better interoperability at the data storage level, it
will actually become *more* useful to have a simple multi-dimensional
array type in the standard library as you could easily pass those
objects to functions from more powerful array manipulation libraries as
your needs become more complicated.

Cheers,
Nick.