[Python-Dev] python sphinx install?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 15:30:24 CEST 2007

Neal Becker schrieb:
> Georg Brandl wrote:
>
>> Neal Becker schrieb:
>>> I'm interested in trying out new style (python 2.6) documentation.  I see
>>> we're using docutils + sphinx?
>>>
>>> I did: svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/doctools/trunk/
>>>
>>> How can I install this to try it with python-2.5?
>>
>> What do you want to try with Python 2.5?
>>
>> If you want to build the Python 2.6/3.0 docs, it's easiest to check the
>> Python sources out from http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk, go to
>> the Doc directory and do "make html". This will checkout sphinx and all
>> other needed libraries into Doc/tools and build the docs.
>>
>> Georg
>>

> I want to document my own python code.  I figured I might as well start
> using the new documentation system - but I'm using python-2.5.  I intend to
> use epydoc.  I thought maybe I could just add sphinx to my docutils, but
> maybe not?

I see. Currently, sphinx is not ready to be used by other projects, at least
not in conjunction with tools like epydoc. (You should, however, be able to
create a rst document hierarchy like Python's and use sphinx for it.)

As soon as all needs for the Python documentation are fulfilled, I'll think
about how to make the toolset available for other projects.

Georg