[Python-Dev] which SSL client protocols work with which server protocols?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Sep 8 18:51:41 CEST 2007

I've now built a framework in test_ssl to test all client protocols
(SSL2, SSL3, SSL23, TLS1) against all server protocols, and here's
what I've come up with.  Servers are along the X axis, and clients are
on the Y axis.  "Yes" means that that client protocol can talk to that
server protocol.

	SSL2	SSL3	SS23	TLS1
SSL2	yes	no	no	no
SSL3	yes	yes	yes	no
SSL23	no	no	yes	no
TLS1	no	no	yes	yes

I'm a bit surprised by the facts that (1) an SSL2 client can't connect
to an SSL23 server, and (2) an SSL23 client can *only* connect to an
SSL23 server.  Can anyone verify that these combos (the results of
testing with the Python framework) are indeed to be expected?

Bill