[Python-Dev] BerkeleyDB 4.6.19 is buggy and causes test_bsddb3 to hang

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Mon Sep 10 08:40:05 CEST 2007

BerkeleyDB 4.6.19 is a buggy release, the DB_HASH access method databases
can lockup the process.  This is why several of the bleeding edge distro
buildbots are timing out while running test_bsddb3.  I've created a simple C
test case and made sleepycat^Woracle aware of the problem.

I have a change in my sandbox to explicitly avoid linking with 4.6.19 but it
seems like committing it would just pollute setup.py with vague notions of
what versions of a specific library are bad.  I'd prefer to just disallow
use of libdb 4.6 completely in setup.py until oracle fixes this and we're
sure no OS release ships with 4.6.19.

thoughts?

-gps

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.berkeley-db/browse_thread/thread/abf12452613ca7ec