[Python-Dev] BerkeleyDB 4.6.19 is buggy and causes test_bsddb3 to hang

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 10 16:21:39 CEST 2007

> I have a change in my sandbox to explicitly avoid linking with 4.6.19
> but it seems like committing it would just pollute setup.py with vague
> notions of what versions of a specific library are bad.  I'd prefer to
> just disallow use of libdb 4.6 completely in setup.py until oracle fixes
> this and we're sure no OS release ships with 4.6.19.
> thoughts?

That sounds like the right solution to me. We should review it when/if
a patch is available. "No OS release ships" is a difficult-to-test-for
condition, given things like Gentoo and Debian unstable that
simultaneously ship in dozens of versions (i.e. with "releases" every
two hours or more often). After a bug fix is available, and some time
has passed, I'd rather reallow 4.6.x, and put something into README
about this bug.

Thanks for investigating it.