[Python-Dev] Removing the GIL (Me, not you!)

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Sep 11 22:54:58 CEST 2007

On Sep 11, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> We should probably document where all of these globals lists are
> instead of relying on looking for all file level static declarations
> or something.  Or would there be benefit to moving things like this to
> the interpreter struct so that threads within a single interpreter
> call are locked but interpreters can act much more independently?

This would be nice. It would be really nice if python was embeddable
more like TCL: separate interpreters really are separate, and don't
share state. That means basically everything has to be stored in an
interp-specific data structure, not in static variables.

But this has been raised before, and was rejected as not worth the
amount of work that would be required to achieve it. (it's certainly
not worth it enough for *me* to do the work, so I can't blame anyone
else for making the same determination.)

James