[Python-Dev] Removing the GIL (Me, not you!)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Sep 14 05:11:00 CEST 2007

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance but why does Python do reference counting for truly
> global and static objects

Because it would cost more time to check whether the
reference counting needed to be done than to just do
it anyway.

Remember that *most* refcount operations are on
non-global objects. Putting in a test would slow
all of them down, but only speed a few of them
up.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |