[Python-Dev] Removing the GIL (Me, not you!)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Sep 15 00:23:39 CEST 2007

Justin Tulloss wrote:

> What do you think of a model where there is a global
> "thread count" that keeps track of how many threads reference an object?

I've thought about that sort of thing before. The problem
is how you keep track of how many threads reference an
object, without introducing far more overhead than
you're trying to eliminate.

> Then there are thread-specific reference counters for each object.

What happens when a new thread comes into existence? Do
you go through all existing objects and add another element
to their refcount arrays?

--
Greg